Home Forums Massive Transfusion Which type of rapid infusion device do you use?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Olga Kaslow 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Mark Dugas
    Participant

Hello everyone.
    We are in the process of exploring new devices for rapid infusion and I was wondering if others had experiences with some of the common rapid infusion devices?
    Specifically, what times to set up during a stat trauma case, speed of warming , and any problems you have had with your devices.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

William Moss
    Participant

In northern Colorado, we use the Level One rapid infuser. Setup is pretty quick; just have to make sure there is no air in the lines (<1 min). It warms quickly. Sometimes have to replace the line/system if we are utilizing large amounts of blood products (>30 units).

Marc Steurer
    Participant

Belmont rapid infuser with 3l reservoir, works very well, reliable, small footprint, high capacity, control over infused volume and rate. travels well, too.

Marc Steurer
    Participant

Belmont rapid infuser with 3l reservoir, works very well, reliable, small footprint, high capacity, control over infused volume and rate. travels well, too. (ZSFG)

Evan Miller
    Participant

At Indiana University – Methodist Hospital Level I we are back to Level I’s after a disaster of an experience with the Thermacor last year. Purchased 7, at least two had manufacturing defects giving false air alarms rendering the devices unusable. Also had devices not infusing but saying they were. They were great when they worked but was short lived. The disappointing part was the lack of support from the company after purchase. They basically disappeared after our last meeting and never responded to our requests. Wish we would of just went with the Belmont’s.

Evan Miller
    Trauma Anesthesia Liaison
    Anesthesia Consultants of Indianapolis

Chris Bleeker
    Participant

In the Radboud University Medical Centre Nijmegen the Netherlands we use the Level one. Often small problems getting the machnen to work without beeping at you. Yesterday we had to apply a sticking plaster to keep the door down and then it worked fine. In all when it works it is good. In the Armed Forces we have the Belmont. Larger volume/min and better airlock they say.

Mark Dugas
    Participant

Great. Thank you all very much for your responses. This is very helpful feedback for us. It is exactly what I was interested in learning.
    Mark

Olga Kaslow
    Participant

At the Medical College of WI, Milwaukee, we use Belmont rapid infuser with 3l reservoir. We have switched to it from Level 1 infuser a few years ago and are very happy with it.

Olga Kaslow

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.